• If you would like to gain access to see the full OTI forum, please consider joining the OTI. Click the Register button in the top right corner or if you have previously registered, click the Log In button. If you have forgotten your password, follow the "Forgot Password" link on the Log In page.

Lienhard R/E S/L chuck gear removal

Holtzaholic

Hey all,
Anyone familiar with Lienhard Rose Engines with a S/L chuck? I have a simular Engine and want to get the gear off the nose... but don't seem to be able to easily. Want to get more info on how these are attached before I start wrenching hard or heating up the arbor. Is it threaded on? Which direction? Held on with a taper and screw? Mine has a screw that looks to hold it in place but I have completely loosed it so it is not maing with threads anymore.... but I still cannot get the gear off nor the screw out past the gear to look inside. Trying hard not to ruin anything only to hav to re-machine it later. Any help would ba appreciated !! Thanks You!!

Attachments

Nick Edwards

Hey all,
Anyone familiar with Lienhard Rose Engines with a S/L chuck? I have a simular Engine and want to get the gear off the nose... but don't seem to be able to easily. Want to get more info on how these are attached before I start wrenching hard or heating up the arbor. Is it threaded on? Which direction? Held on with a taper and screw? Mine has a screw that looks to hold it in place but I have completely loosed it so it is not maing with threads anymore.... but I still cannot get the gear off nor the screw out past the gear to look inside. Trying hard not to ruin anything only to hav to re-machine it later. Any help would ba appreciated !! Thanks You!!
Hi
I have a similar Lienhard Universal Brocading engine with a straight line chuck but the gear is inside an adaptor which then screws onto the nose of the machine. The other chucks with my machine such as the levelling chuck have a deep recess which could accept a gear on the end of the screwed nose if it was so fitted. I suggest that the gear on your machine is not meant to come off but the other chucks may screw on OK with the gear in place. The mandrel nose is probably screwed 1 3/8 inch Whitworth form which seems to be a Lienhard standard - the fitting of chucks seems to not involve screwing up to a face but involves a slight taper and then a screwed pin which engages with the parallel part of the nose or the dimple at the end of the screw thread .
The gear probably will come off if you must but would require a very thin blade inserted between the gear and the mandrel nose. I would suggest there is probably a round pin (or two) or a key to locate the gear and certainly not a screw fitting. The end locating screw should come out (!).

Hope this helps

Hallo, first of all a short presentation: My Name is Massimo Fumagalli and although I read sometimes postings here this is my first one. Im a woodturner located in Switzerland and beginner in ornamental turning.
Maybe I'm completely wrong, and I do not have any experience with Lienhard machines, (although with old lathes I' a bit confidential. Looking at the screw let's me suppose that there is some kind of expanding mandrel inside the nose which holds the gear in place: the screw pulls a little cone in order to expand a cilinder on which the gear is mounted. If the cone is stuck you can't get this off. I would try to unscrew this screw just a little bit and gently tap on it to see if it loosens the cone. Maybe it helps.....

Holtzaholic

Nick, You are not the first one to mention that the gear may not be meant to come off. I do believe I found a pin that was lightly holding the scsew in place. The gear, as far as I can tell, is pressed in and the scerw is meant to be used to pull the gear off with a puller because the back end of the scrfew is larger than the ID of the gear.

Interstingly enough, the OD of the gear is larger than the minor diameter of the threads - so threading something over the gear seems a bit odd. There is, however, a non-threaded portion of the shaft near the headstock that shows evidence of something being attached with a setscrew and leaving the round depression of the setscrew behind on the shaft. The Lathe is also setup to take a large oval chuck so it baffles me that the gear should not (??) come off.

I, too, have a Lienhard Brocade Engine (Two full brocaders and a bare headstock - one of which includes a S/L and an Oval Chuck) but none of them have given me clues to the headstock on this RE. B.T.W., my leveling chuck actually buts snug up the flange onthe arbor unlike yours. If it is true that consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds - then the Gents at Lienhard had VERY large minds! LOL

Massimo - that is a really cool idea you have regarding the expanding mandrel. I'm pretty sure that this is not one, though. I can unscrew the screw enough that it is not longer mated with threads and slops around (still can't get it past the gear, though). So, I'm guessiong it is not an expanding mandrel. I am thankful for the suggestion, though!

Update:
I have comletely removed every part and piece on the barrel; deep cleaned, derusted, oiled and partially put it back together. The arbor is still free from the rest of the parts as of yet and will stay that way until I get this figured out or worked around... May have to be a slip fit with a couple of grub screws at the end ?!?!?